Fat burners: what are they and how do they work?Supplements known as fat burners are one of the most popular groups of products that are used for shaping a slim and athletic body. Many people during weight loss look for support through fat burners. Find out what fat burners are, how do they work, and is it worth reaching for them while losing body fat?
What are fat burners?Fat burners are dietary supplements containing a variety of active ingredients which, combined with a balanced diet and regular physical activity, can help to eliminate excessive fat deposits and promote weight control.
- mechanism of operation and effects,
- form (e.g. capsules, tablets, shot ampoules),
- proportions and content of the ingredients used,
- type of ingredients used in a particular formula,
- target audience (some products are dedicated to a specific group, e.g. only for women).
The action of most fat burners is based on three main mechanisms. The first one is the process of thermogenesis, which consists in the intensification of heat production. This effect is noticeable, e.g. after eating a meal - the body produces heat and increases the body temperature as a result of the process of digestion of nutrients delivered with the diet. This reaction also occurs in other cases, the best example of which is eating a dish containing spicy seasonings (e.g. chilli pepper). Fat burners that provide this effect are called thermogenics.
An equally frequent mechanism of fat burners is lipolysis. This reaction relates to the breakdown of triglycerides with a specific group of enzymes (the so-called lipases), which results in the release of fatty acids and glycerol into the blood. Simply put, large fat molecules are broken down into smaller structures. The simpler form of free fatty acids is used by other tissues as a source of additional energy, e.g. for more intensive muscle work during exercise - that's why some forms of training allow you to engage excessive fat deposits in order to increase the effectiveness during the body shaping process.
The last and equally important process, or rather the cycle of fat molecules transformation is the process of their oxidation. The ß-oxidation reaction of fatty acids causes the breakdown of large molecules, which leads to the formation of, among others, Coenzyme A (Co-A) used in another and equally important Krebs cycle responsible for energy production in the form of ATP. The process of fat oxidation is nothing more than its oxidation (burning) in the mitochondria - the metabolism of fat tissue causes the creation of additional energy, which is necessary for the body for its daily functioning. What is more, properly functioning oxidative metabolism allows to maintain a proper balance of lipid metabolism and protect against excessive cholesterol levels or an excessive accumulation of fatty acids.
Fat burners - effects
The properties of fat burners depend primarily on two important issues - the composition and content of the ingredients used. The key to obtaining a quality product is a precisely created formula, and appropriately selected proportions of the ingredients used will form the basis for achieving the desired goal, i.e. a slim body shape or a proper body weight. Therefore, the action of the ingredients used in a fat burner should be documented by scientific research, which will confirm the validity of their use in the process of weight loss and the fight against excess fat.
You may often come across questions about the effects of using fat burners. First of all, it should be noted that these are products from the food supplement category. Therefore, their action is inextricably linked to the observance of the principles of varied and healthy nutrition and regular training. It is difficult to expect any effects if the diet leaves much to be desired and the level of physical activity is close to zero.
What are the effects of using fat burners?
- increase in heat production (increase in thermogenesis),
- fat breakdown (lipolysis),
- oxidation of fatty acids and stimulation of their normal metabolism (oxidation)),
- reduction of body fat accumulation,
- stimulation of the metabolic rate (the so-called "boosting" of the metabolism),
- reduction of excessive appetite as well as reduced desire to eat (e.g. sweets)
- helping to reduce fatigue and weariness,
- maintaining a proper energy metabolism and improving training efficiency,
- control of an optimal body weight,
- increase in the involvement of fat as an additional source of energy,
- help to reduce subcutaneous water accumulation (diuresis stimulation),
- beneficial effect on psychological functions such as concentration and alertness (products containing caffeine)
What is an effective fat burner?
People in the process of losing weight often wonder what makes a fat burner effective? There are several criteria that allow you to make the right choice and find a satisfactory solution among the large number of products on the current dietary supplement market. Analysis of the formula of a given fat burner allows you to adjust its action to your own needs. Not every fat burner will prove to be the right solution. It should not be forgotten that the fat burning process, as well as diet or training is a highly individual issue.
The effectiveness of a fat burner is primarily based on a multi-component formula, which is composed of beneficial ingredients - coming from highly standardized plant extracts (e.g. bitter orange fruit, black pepper, cayenne pepper, Indian nettle, wakame, guarana seeds or Japanese pagoda tree), valuable amino acids (e.g. L-tyrosine, L-carnitine) and healthy fatty acids (e.g. CLA), as well as ingredients with nervous system stimulating properties (e.g. caffeine), plant adaptogens (Korean ginseng) or vitamins and minerals (e.g. zinc, magnesium, B vitamins).
Not only the formula plays an important role in an effective fat burner, but also the content of the active substances. It is these that influence the various processes that stimulate hormones and peptides to burn fat properly. The ingredients of fat burners are therefore, in a way, intermediaries or catalysts that promote the activation of the right mechanisms. Each ingredient of the fat burner formula is a source of many valuable active ingredients that determine the effectiveness of its action. For example:
- cayenne pepper extract is a source of extremely useful capsaicin, which intensifies the process of thermogenesis, which contributes, among other things, to the increase in sweating during exercise
- extract of Indian nettle contains forskolin, which promotes the loss of water under the skin and helps to get rid of excess weight
- Cocoa extract enriches your diet with theobromine, which can be valuable to keep you in a good mood while you lose weight
- Japanese pagoda tree extract is a source of quercetin, which has beneficial antioxidant properties and helps control metabolism
The Olimp Sport Nutrition brand offers a wide range of different body fat burners. Those looking for uncompromising solutions can reach for the flagship products - Thermo Speed Extreme or Thermo Speed Hardcore - which for many years have been supporting enthusiasts of an active lifestyle and proponents of healthy eating in the fight for their dream body. A special Therm Line man formula has been prepared for men, which apart from helping to burn fat will affect the libido and correct the testosterone levels (it contains zinc). Those who avoid fat burners with stimulating ingredients can try the Liporazor , which contains only highly standardized plant extracts, or reach for products with l-carnitine, such as L-carnitine Xplode or L-carnitine 1500 Extreme Mega Caps .
What are the best fat burners?
How to recognize the best fat burner? It is difficult to give a clear answer to this question because products in this category differ from each other through a number of factors. Although all fat burners provide support during weight loss, it is difficult to identify one particular product precisely. There are really many reasons for this. Starting from the current level of accumulated fat tissue, through the type of sport, to the current body weight or contraindications related to the presence of certain ingredients (e.g. people with heart problems should not reach for products containing large amounts of caffeine).
That is why it is worth choosing burners from proven manufacturers of dietary supplements. The Olimp Laboratories pharmaceutical company offers high quality fat burners, which contain precisely adjusted quantities of suitable ingredients with scientifically proven impact on the process of weight loss as well as safe action in terms of health. Thanks to the use of high quality raw materials tested for microbiological purity (i.e. free from heavy metals and other undesirable additives), there is no concern that the product content differs from the declarations on the label. It should also be remembered that fat burners from uncertain sources, containing unauthorised substances (e.g. yohimbine or ephedrine) or unclear and unspecified formula may be hazardous to health.
However, what's most important . The fat burner alone will not help you to work on your slim and athletic body. Healthy and varied nutrition with an optimally determined energy deficit is essential. Cutting off the right number of calories will enable you to turn up the metabolic rate, which will lead to energy being extracted from the accumulated body fat. Regular exercise is also an important element, which, thanks to properly selected exercises, allows to model the body and shape specific body parts. If these aspects are met, then you can think about introducing a fat burner, as an addition to a balanced diet.
Below you can find the ranking of the 5 best and most popular Olimp Sport Nutrition fat burners
- Thermo Speed Extreme
- Thermo Speed Hardcore
- Therm Line Fast
- L-carnitine 1500 Mega Caps
The ranking of fat burners was prepared on the basis of sales data, customer opinions and the interest from the market. Each of the above products has a different formula, different components selected in different proportions and quantities, and has a different effect on the body - all of them, however, provide an optimal support in the process of weight loss, body weight control and work on a slim body.
Fat burners for a flat stomach
For many people, a flat, fold-free stomach is one of the priorities for a slim body. The unattractive tyre of fat, which is usually an expression of a sedentary lifestyle and eating empty calories (e.g. from sweets, sodas or salty snacks), is a great challenge for most men and women. Many times, in addition to high levels of adipose tissue, one has to struggle with accumulated subcutaneous water, especially in the lower area of the body.
So, are there any fat burners for the stomach specifically? The use of fat burners in combination with a balanced diet will certainly prove to be a beneficial way of getting rid of excessive deposits of unwanted fat and will also support the removal of the aforementioned water. But exercise is the most important element! A properly designed training plan together with a properly selected fat burner is a solution for working out a flat belly. Exercises can be performed at home, in the gym or outside - the abdominal muscles are a body part that can be involved in practically any conditions. Unfortunately, it requires regularity, great self-control and patience above all!
What kind of exercises will prove to be the best choice for a flat stomach and effective enough for the fat burners used?
- Scissors - in the lying position on the back, you lift your legs straight, which you try to touch with your fingers
- Ab pulldowns- in the kneeling position, grab the rope above the head, then bend the chest to he hips and make a bow motion until the head is between the knees
- Mountain climbers - in the position of the frontal support, you perform alternate pulls of the knees to the chest, which imitate an uphill run.
- Plank/Side plank – which is the classic plank in front or on the side; in both cases, the support points are the forearms and feet, after the body is lifted, you try to hold on in an upright position
- Pulling the knees to the chest while hanging on a pull up bar - the abdominal muscles are only engaged in a position above 90°!
Each of the exercises requires conscious control of the abdominal muscles. One cannot forget to follow the rules of proper breathing and adjust the intensity level to the current capabilities. Fat burners should be used before the start of the workout in order to properly assimilate the active ingredients and ensure an optimal performance during the exercise.
Are the fat burners safe?
Fat burners should be safe for health. Therefore, when deciding on fat burner supplementation, you should choose products of well-known, reputable manufacturers, which offer high quality products that promote fat burning. Olimp Laboratories, a pharmaceutical company that millions of people around the world trust, is certainly such a manufacturer.
Olimp Sport Nutrition fat burners use only high-quality, tested raw materials. Each product was manufactured with the use of advanced and innovative production technology as well as optimally selected, health-safe quantities of individual ingredients.
Safe fat burners only contain ingredients with a scientifically proven effect on weight loss and fat burning. However, there are formulas on the market which contain many synthetic and not entirely known active substances. Before buying this type of product it is necessary to analyse the formula. If the product contains such ingredients as: ephedrine, geranium, yohimbine, rauwolscine, then you should definitely refrain from buying it. The above mentioned substances are on the list of WADA - World Anti-Doping Organization, which has classified the above ingredients as dangerous to health or life.
However, it should be remembered that fat burners containing safe ingredients can also present a health risk. In what situation? People who lose weight often decide to use a larger number of portions, which in their opinion will bring much better benefits and faster results. Manufacturers are not necessarily giving specific instructions on how to use the product on the packaging. The content of individual ingredients in the supplement's composition has been determined so as to ensure effective and safe fat burning.
Equally important is the current state of health. Fat burners are safe, especially for people with no health problems. The presence of certain diseases and ailments can not only pose a risk, but also completely exclude the possibility of using fat burners! If you have any doubts about your current state of health, you should consult your doctor, who will confirm the possibility of using the product during weight loss after analysing the formula of the fat burner.
Side effects of taking fat burners
The use of fat burners in the daily diet should be associated with the awareness that their action may cause side effects. Most cases of side effects are caused by hypersensitivity to certain ingredients (e.g. caffeine, guarana extract or cayenne pepper extract and capsaicin contained in it) or incorrect use (i.e. the previously mentioned failure to follow the guidelines placed by the manufacturer on the package and taking too many portions).
What can be side effects when using fat burners?
- Sleep deprivation and insomnia
- Excessive increase in blood pressure
- Increased heart rate
- Excessive sweating
- Uncontrolled muscle spasms and shaking of hands
- Nausea and gastrointestinal stimulation
- Well-being problems
Fat burners are a specific group of dietary supplements, whose ingredients and active substances have a real impact on the functioning of the metabolism and the nervous or cardiovascular system. Manufacturers emphasize that there are specific contraindications for using fat burners. Among them are: pregnancy and breastfeeding period, mental problems and the use of psychotropic drugs, heart abnormalities, hypertension, insomnia, mood swings, disorders of the proper functioning of the digestive system (e.g. hyperacidity or irritable bowel syndrome) or hypersensitivity of the nervous system to the action of ingredients with stimulating properties.
What are natural fat burners?
Although it may seem that fat burners are only capsules and tablets prepared in laboratories, there are in fact a number of substances known as natural fat burners. Most of them are available at your fingertips and are part of your daily diet, and the active ingredients they contain prove to be a beneficial support in the weight loss process. What's more, a large proportion of these natural fat burners are components of fat burners for physically active people and athletes - it' s perfect proof of their effectiveness even for professionals!
Which natural fat burners deserve special attention? Below is a list of substances that have a beneficial effect on weight loss and weight control.
- Ginger – an extremely popular spice, which is a frequent addition to baked goods. The gingerols it contains stimulate the secretion of digestive enzymes and promote the process of thermogenesis, which produces heat.
- Coffee– the "black gold" is a source of caffeine, which supports an increase in blood pressure and a rise in metabolic rate. Used before the training it stimulates, helps to reduce the feeling of fatigue and improves the endurance..
- Bitter orange fruit – it is a source of synephrine with an extremely strong influence on the process of thermogenesis, which is considered to be one of the most effective natural thermogenics and a frequent ingredient of fat burners.
- Black pepper – it is primarily a source of piperine, which is an extremely valuable thermogenic agent with beneficial properties for improving nutrient assimilation from food.
- Cayenne pepper – which is the popular chilli pepper, known for its warming properties, thanks to capsaicin. This substance helps reduce excessive appetite and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Green tea – it ensures an optimal stimulating effect, thanks to caffeine, stimulates the metabolic rate, contains many valuable antioxidants (e.g. EGCG) with a beneficial effect on neutralization of free oxygen radicals and limiting premature aging of the body.
- Green coffee – Like its 'black counterpart', it is a source of beneficial caffeine, but its main advantage is the presence of chlorogenic acid, which has a valuable effect on weight loss, including combating dangerous free radicals. Moreover, it contains a number of other beneficial minerals and numerous B vitamins.
Fat burners and exercise
Effective fat burning consists of a balanced diet combined with a properly designed workout, sometimes supported by a fat burner supplementation. Training aimed at body shaping should be dynamic, although its intensity should be adjusted to the current capabilities of the exercising person. Instructors and personal trainers pay attention not to exaggerate the load and focus primarily on the correct technique. A large number of repetitions will increase the rate of metabolism, which in combination with a fat burner will provide optimal conditions for body shaping.
What should be the characteristics of the fat burning process in the context of exercise? First of all, it should be based on compound exercises, which will allow you to engage as many muscles as possible. The overall work of the body gives the best results, not to mention a number of additional benefits resulting from these activities (such as improving the mobility and central stabilization as well as increasing strength and endurance).
TOP 5 fat burning exercises for women:
- Skater - jumping from leg to leg with the butt tense and the back straight
- Burpees – the so-called "drop - get up"
- Supported barbell hip thrusts
- Front and side planks
- Jumping squats
TOP 5 fat burning exercises for men:
- Barbell squats
- Pull ups
- Military press
- Bent over barbell/dumbbell rows
- Push ups
It should not be forgotten that apart from strength and endurance exercises, it is worth focusing on aerobic exercise. After proper training, you should spend some time (even a dozen or so minutes) on a short session of running on a treadmill, get on a stationary bike or use an elliptical trainer or a rowing machine. A lack of access to professional machines should not be an obstacle - then it is worthwhile to do a few sets of jumping jacks, a boxing run in place or a short circuit in the nearest area in the form of jogging.
What else should you know about fat burning exercises?
- Ensure a varied diet and an optimal calorie intake - too great a deficit will result in insufficient energy and increases the risk of a yoyo effect
- Remember about optimal hydration - water not only quenches thirst, but also replenishes minerals lost with sweat and helps cleanse the body of unnecessary metabolic products and accumulated toxins
- Get enough sleep - sleep is the basis for the regeneration of muscles and the nervous system, which are put under strain during training
The information below is required for social login
Create New Account
- THERMO SPEED® EXTREME 2.0£25.70